Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

A great day in Vietnam!


First, Justin and Carrie- I tried to post a comment to your comments but blogger wouldn't let me. :( Justin, no, we didn't buy Fruity Pebbles...yet. Give me a month. Also, the music's not bad, although we've heard that Jason Mraz song, "I'm Yours" about 500 times. I thought I'd be able to escape it once I was here, but nope. Oh, and we heard Lady Gaga in the Korean airport!!! Carrie- thanks so much for the well wishes. xoxo

What an awesome day! First, we went to our new school and met a lot of very nice and helpful people. I met my new principal and saw we saw our new classrooms. My classroom is temporary until October when the construction of our school will be complete. One of our co workers drew us a map of places to go in the area and we decided to venture off on a great walk in our neighborhood. Our neighborhood is very hip and there are LOTS of cafes, shops, markets, flower shops, and salons. We found out that one of our co workers favorite spots for a massage is VERY cheap. She was there for 90 minutes and spent about 10 dollars! Can't wait to give that a shot!!! We decided to go shopping for a new couch. We haven't decided yet, but I think we'll be getting a sectional because we found one for a very reasonable price.

We also went to a store called, "Decosy". There we bought a beautiful ceramic water pitcher, a ceramic soap pump and two ceramic bowls and spent less than $15. What a great deal for such beautiful pieces!

OH WAIT! I forgot to tell you about what we woke up to this morning! The doorbell rang and in came the housekeeper! We had no idea that our apartment complex provided weekly housekeeping! She changed our linens and towels, cleaned the bathrooms, dusted, vacuumed, mopped, cleaned the kitchen, etc!! It was a dream come true! I'm not used to this kind of treatment, but I don't think it will be hard to get accustomed to!!!

We are really enjoying Vietnam so far. The people are so nice and friendly. I'm such an American though! One man at a cafe/SIM card store did not understand us. Instead of trying to relay the message in another way, I just said it again in English, as if he were going to understand me the second time! I'm going to have to TRY to learn some of the language. We now know "hello" and "thank you". We are getting Rosetta Stone: Vietnamese, so hopefully that will help with some of the basics of the language. We are also learning how to use the currency a little better. Hopefully by the end of our time here, we'll be pros!

I am attaching some more photos we've taken from around the area. No real "city" pictures yet. It's awfully hard to take touristy pictures here because it's pretty crazy and busy on the streets. Pedestrians have to constantly be on the look out for motorbikes and scooters because they are EVERYWHERE! See the video below!

Love and miss you all!
Missy and Bill

Scooters in Saigon (and this is MILD):

A pretty boat on the Saigon River:

The water taxis for our apartment complex:


The Saigon River at Sunset:


Our pool:


Our pool again:

The bar at our apartment complex:


Bill walking along the Saigon River:


A pretty courtyard (where, by the way, we saw bats):


Bill:






No comments:

Post a Comment